Thursday, August 07, 2008

Alzheimers Walk

As most of you know my grandmother has been battling alzheimers for 11-12 yrs now. This is such a terrible disease to watch a loved go through. It is not only physically challenging but emotionally also on family, especially if a spouse is the primary caregiver. My family always participates in the Memory Walk each year and this year I have decided to help raise money. I did this several years ago and then slacked off once my babies arrived. But, I am taking this opportunity to help teach Keira about giving and helping others, and also try to explain to her what is going on with her great-grandmother. I will be encouraging her to ask for donations in person and this is something our family does to honor our sweet grandmother. Please pray for my grandmother as she is entering the final stages of this disease and also my grandfather who has stood beside his wife of 60 plus yrs, taking care of her and loving her more everyday. Oh the love I have witnessed between these two people is more than words can describe, I can't even imagine how this weighs on my papaw emotionally to watch the love of your life endure this awful disease and then come to a point where she doesn't even recognize him anymore. But I always like to think deep down she does and that will never change, you can tell when she looks at him, or at least I can. Below is the link to Keira (and Brock) webpage. Please check it out and we would greatly appreciate any amount of donations if you can. Thanks! Click on Find A Walker and enter Keira Leffew https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=260149&lis=0&kntae260149=03AFF2DB2C1B4FBDAE5D770343ABAF03 Photobucket

No comments: