Sunday, August 31, 2008

The 4 Temperaments

I became intrigued again with the temperaments after posting on mine and after some comments to me about my post. So, while little man is napping ( after he wakes we are going to join the rest of the family at the lake, Yea!) I decided to get my notes out. There is 4 basic temperaments and you can have strentghs and weaknesses form all 4 or mainly be made up of one temperament. The 4 are Melancholy - Phlegmatic - Choleric - Sanguine I am almost completely Melancholy with a hint of Phlegmatic. Self-diagnosis here. HA! But once you see the characteristics of each one of these, then certain people come to mind and they just make more sense to you and how they respond or behave in everyday life or to situations. It also helps to know these types to help you interact with others. Yes, you can get crazy "labeling" others and shouldn't get obsessed with that, all I am saying is you notice things more clearly and understand where a person may be coming from just by their temperament. So, let's begin with the Melancholy ...............

Melancholy : introvert

Motto : Let's do it the right way!

Satan's Lie : You must be perfect

What friends say: Let's cheer up the melancholy.

Strengths: Weaknesses : I cannot get these to separate so weakness are in red

artistic moody and gloomy

  • rich, sensitive nature rigid and unbending
  • analytical ability pessimistic - critical
  • emotionally responsive martyr; likes to suffer
  • deep, reflective thinker introspective
  • dependable friend prone to depression
  • self-sacrificing prideful
  • loyal fears the opinions of others
  • perfectionist unreasonable expectations of others
  • self-disciplined carries a grudge
  • gifted - genius-prone too sensitive
  • conscientious and thorough seething anger
  • knows limitations hard to get along with
  • dislikes those in opposition
  • indecisive - impractical
  • easily discouraged - hypochondriac

Melancholies are very hard on themselves thorugh constant self-examination. They are naturally gloomy, dark, and pessimistic, yet still very gifted and genius-prone. They are perfectionists. Their exceptionally high standards for others are only exceeded by the demands they make on themselves. They are intelligent with a very sensitive nature, deeply emotional, and controlled by their wide variety of moods. When they are up, they can appear quite sanguine, but when they are down, they will become depressed, withdrawn, introspective and antagonistic.

Melancholies can be your most faithful freinds, but they do not make friends easily, since theya re cautious. They have a strong desire to be loved by others but disappointing experiences can make them suspicious and defensive, and a low self-esteem can prevent them from reaching out. They love deeply - no ohter temperament would be so willing and able to give.

Greatest strentgh is their deep, reflective, and sensitive nature. Their loyalty and devotion will prompt them to make great sacrificesfor those they love.

Greatest weakness is their unmercifully high standards for themselves and others. They should accept their own limitations as well as those of others and break free from unrealisitc pressures they have imposed on themselves and others, and strive to accept people as they are.

Wow! That looks like it would be a hard life to live as a melancholy but aren't we glad that the Lord can use even us melancholys for His purposes. Romans 12:1-2 says We must be transformed by the renewing of our minds, which takes an act of the will, a conscious effort. I am so glad the Lord can transform me and renew me every day. It is something to sit back and look at youself, and when you start to see some of these traits taking form in your life. I personally have always had a hard time with forgiveness and could carry a grudge longer than necessary, but I know in the depths of my soul that I am commanded to forgive and must do it. It can still be an issue in my life and it will always be a battle for me with my temperament, but only thorugh God's grace and mercy can I overcome. I laugh some when reading over these b/c certian traits jump right out at me, like someone has followed me around and wrote down things they have observed. I can be very mood but even my husband has said that has gotten alot better. When problems arise in my life, my immediate response is to "shut down" and "withdraw" either from that person or problem. I am very good at cutting people off if I feel I have been "hurt" or "my trust was broken" But thank God He chose me over my sinful-nature, b/c left to myself I would be destined for Hell with no hope for rescue. I pray that He continute to mold me and make me after His will so I can better serve and become more Christ-like.

Next up: Phlegmatic (another introvert)

Photobucket

No comments: