Monday, March 17, 2008

Sleepless nights


Saturday night we began using "The Sleep Lady" method to get Brock back to sleeping all night and soothing himself back to sleep if he wakes. Nights 1-3 you sit by the crib and "shh" him and occasionally pat him on the back until he goes to sleep, only picking him up if he gets hysterical. It took 45 minutes, this was after 7:30. He slept till 12:30 and it only took a minute then. I was surprised. However, along came 3:15 and it wasn't happy. He lasted until 4:45! But I didn't cave, I sat beside the crib and prayed and almost cried. It is harder when you sit beside them and he is reaching through the crib for me. I tolerate it much better when I leave the room and don't have to watch him. He then slept till 6:45 and I put him in bed with me. I got Brandon up at the 3 wake-up to get in bed with Keira and they both slept through most of it. We woke him around 8. Sunday afternoon, as I am laying in the floor with him, trying to get him down for nap, since we are at the in-laws house, we put him in the floor to sleep for safety reasons. I come up with this bright idea (pic above) to attach my hair extension (and no I do not wear this, I am just glad I didn't toss it out!) to the teddy bear. The book suggests using a lovey (animal, blanket, etc) for security, well I thought he goes to sleep playing inmy hair so.......So last night I did this, and it worked!!! He stirred several times, but I didn't get up and he went back to sleep. I only had to go in one time around 2 and I didn't pick him up, but "shh" and pat him and put the hair back in reach and he was drifting off till Keira starts crying out. I get Brandon and then go back to Brock, which only takes about 2 minutes. On the other hand, I was up all night with Keira, because she was coughing every 10-20 seconds, I know this since I would count in between each cough. She could not sleep. This started at 9:30 with her and was all night long. Finally around 3:30 or later she went to sleep, but still coughed to wake a little and whine some. I noticed this morning Brock has started coughing also, I hope this isn't developing into another round of colds.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Allison said...

we are dealing with sleep problems, too. andrew has been sleeping with me pretty much since his first ear infection back in october! (elik has been in the bonus room on the couch - which is not good for his back) this coming thursday night is the night we are roughing it and putting him back in his bed. we decided since i'm off work friday, i could catch up on sleep then. we have a blankie that we are going to try to use for his lovie. i'm ready to tackle this. braden slept with us from about 1 year until i was pregnant with andrew. we told him he was going to be a big brother and big brothers sleep in their own beds by themselves. he never really argued and loves sleeping in his own bed. my only concern with andrew is he can get hysterical and is a very loud crier. i'm sure there will and update in my post this weekend :)

The Clifton Family said...

We never went through the process like you all are describing. We just put Ethan into his bed (at 8 months) and turned on the noise maker and then closed the door. I am telling you, it takes so much longer for them to get over it if you gradually leave instead of just leaving all at once. I think that every time you go back in there, you have to stay forever and then when you aren't there when they wake up, they panic. Once Ethan started going to sleep on his own by crying it out (15-20 min at the most) then when he woke in the night, he just knew how to put himself back to sleep. I will pray for you both this weekend, if you promise to pray for us in return! Good luck!

Tara said...

Oh my, reading all of these stories brings back many memories of our last year. I will pray for all of you also because I know how hard it is to sleep train. I cant even imagine trying to do it with two! We did the cry it out thing at 8 months and it took 1 hour the first night, 20 the next and it got less and less as time went on. Finally a week later he was sleeping much better and much happier during the day because he was so much more rested and so were we!