Wednesday, March 12, 2008

9 months

Brock had his 9 month checkup today. He is doing great- weighs a little over 22 pounds (75th percentile), is 29 1/4 inc long (81 st percentile) and his head is 47.8 cm (97th percentile) It is funny to look back at Keira at this age because she was off the charts in height and length her entire first year and I really thought Brock would be bigger than her, it is not a big difference, she was 2 pounds and an inch longer than him at 9 months. It really doesn't matter though, they are 2 different individuals. The only problem I am having right now with him and her is sleep! My kids don't like sleep! Wouldn't you think this would be a natural response, since our bodies are designed for it. Those of you who don't know, I made a huge mistake with Keira, I have slept with her since she was 2 weeks old. It started out that way b/c she wanted to sleep on her belly and of course as a first time mom I was terrified to do this. And my recovery from a c-section was not easy the first time, so I put her onmy chest and slept on the couch with her till around 6 months. Then we moved to the bed, she never slept in her crib a full night. We converted the crib into the bed, skipped the toddler bed phase. Going on 3 years later, I am still sleeping with her. Well back to Brock, I started from the beginning with him sleeping on his own, he was so easy. I could even lay him down awake and he would go to sleep, I thought I was dreaming! When he was sick, I of course held him more and rocked him to sleep, then the past month I have ended up putting him in bed with us. Yes, Brandon has a king bed all to himself. It got to the point that Keira wasn't sleeping at night, she thinks she has to get up when he does and help me, she doesn't cry or fuss, and does not want daddy to lay with her. It is actually sweet at times, when she tells me she loves me and kisses on me and Brock, but not good for her without resting. So the story goes, he wakes about every 3-4 hours. First time I put him in crib, around 4-5 am I put him in bed with us and they both sleep soundly. Well last night at midnight he wakes and I let him cry and cry, this went on for an hour and he finally caved. Keira was so tired she layed in bed with Brandon, but couldn't sleep b/c of the noise. She asked "What is wrong wrong wth him?" He actually slept till 5:45 and I put him in bed with me. I hate this for Brandon, right in the middle of tax season. I try to sneak out of bed at 7:30 and put Brock back in his crib, but Keira fells me move, b/c now she has decided to hang one leg around my waist, like she is pinning me down. Brock wakes and she has to get up, so I let them stay up since we have a doctors visit at 9:20. They are both so tired! Brandon and I both decided after the doctor said it is a comfort issue and nothing is wrong with Brock, to not give up and just go through a few nights of agony. I cannot and will not mess this one up about sleeping. We regret we didn't do this with Keira at an early age. I don't mid sleeping with her, it's just that she won't go to bed until I go. I tried to convince her I would come in later and sleep with her if she would get in bed at a descent hour. We will have to break her soon also, as she will be starting pre-school this fall. Oh the mess I have created!!

3 comments:

Allison said...

looks like our boys weigh about the same but your's is taller!
andrew went for his 9 mo. check up yesterday (3/11) and he weighed 22 lbs. 1 oz (73rd percentile) and was 28.5 inches long (67th percentile) - don't remember the cm of his head but it was 63rd percentile I think. funny thing is, andrew is bigger than braden was at 9 mos. - braden was 20 lbs. 5 oz. and was 29 inches long and his head was 90th percentile! it is amazing how 2 children come from the same parents and end up being so different!

The Clifton Family said...

This is a common issue, believe it or not. I told you all that Ethan wouldn't sleep through the night anywhere until 8 months when we just put him in his bed with the noise maker and closed his door. He cried for 15 min. the first night and the second night it was like 5 min. Then, he was fine-- and has been ever since. He actually asks to go to his bed to sleep! So, it can be done. Have patience.... it will work out. Now, with Keira, you are on your own!

Tara said...

You probably dont remember me, Brad and I came to your wedding and were friends of Brandon's from UT. We are from Rockwood. Anyway, I wanted to tell you not to give up. Connor was never a good sleeper and I went through 10 whole months of sleepless nights. At 6 months old he was still waking 6-8 times a night. We tried everything, crying it out, letting him sleep with us, ect. Nothing worked and I finally decided that we would just have to be consistent. After about 2 months of letting him cry when he woke in the middle of the night it finally clicked for him. Like you, my doctor insisted that I do this however I didnt want to listen. I still think there is a point when they are too young for this, but at 8 months old he definitely knew what he was doing so I decided it was time. He is a great sleeper now and occasionally will wake up, but he always goes back to sleep on his own. I definitely feel for you all, it is awful not having any sleep. Be consistent and it will get better. Good luck! Tell Brandon Pudge says hello!