Friday, July 11, 2008

Missing Bentley

It will be 2yrs saturday since I gave Bentley away. I realized this was in the best interest of our family. Keira was turning one at the time and we were planning on trying for baby #2. I have missed him alot lately. I guess b/c it was getting close to the last day we had with him. Plus it was on our anniversary- so guess what memory I will always have. LOL My biggest regret with Bentley was that I brought him inside and treated him like a baby. I loved that dog! His size was another factor in giving him up - not that he ever did anything to harm Keira, but he would knock her down, simply by walking beside her. He was actually very loving and protective of her. Brock would have been crazy over him. But at 180 pounds, it was just too much. The first week at home with Keira, Bentley slept right beside the couch and got up with me anytime I went to feed or check on her, he would follow me to any room if I left him. Contrary to what people think about St.Bernards - they do not slobber all the time. Only when hot or salivating over food. He was a great dog, even if my husband doesn't want to admit it. I know he loved Bentley deep down..... Bentley also became a sense of security to me, especially during tax season when Brandon was not home alot. During the day it was nice also, because if anyone came to the house I didn't know, I let him out on the front porch to greet them. We had a baby gate on the steps. Many a pizza guy didn't cross the gate- if only they knew he was a gentle giant and only was interested in the pizza. I can only imagine how difficult it would have been trying to manage him with 2 little ones, but I still miss him at times. He went to a wonderful family and was going to stay inside all the time, so he probably wouldn't want to come back now. :)
Bentley loved his papaws. We shaved him every spring and summer, thats why he looks like this.
He always had a sad looking face, unless you brought food in.
Posted by Picasa



Photobucket

1 comment:

Casey said...

That dog is the sweetest!! I can see why you would miss him, but understand why you gave him to a new family. I remember when ya'll first got him, Brandon sent Brad a picture...boy he sure got a lot bigger! I know what you mean by needing some company during tax season:)