Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Legacy

I love the song "Legacy" by Nicole Nordeman. In the past few weeks the thought occured to me this could be my theme song as a mother. What kind of legacy am I leaving for my children? What am I showing them day to day? What am I teaching them? Am I doing this or that enough? If I die today, what kind of legacy have I left for my children? The most important question, to me, is am I pointing to God enough, am I showing them, talking to them about Jesus enough?????????
The little things in life are important in life. Those little lessons that we take for granted or assume our children just know. We shouldn't assume they know anything, how can they, if they are not taught. Something that just irritates me is in Turkey Creek, a shopping place in Knoxville, that 8 out of 10 times will happen to me, is the 4 way intersection beside Chick-fil-a. It only has 2 stop signs, yet people make it a 4 way stop. Drives me nuts! Is it that hard to read traffic signs? Obviously, it is at this intersection. So, I could keep ranting, but I will go on. Normally, I let my tongue fly and say things : "Come on lady, what are you doing?" etc. in a not so nice tone. I hadn't put much thought into this, until my 3 yr old busts out in a drive-thru yelling for the car in front of us "go on" in his not so nice tone. I quickly realized my little sponges are soaking up ALL my actions and words. I said something to him and realized I must learn patience at this intersection as my children are learning quickly it is okay to yell or get annoyed with people over something so unimportant, no matter how ridiculous I think it is that people cannot follow traffic signs :) What kind of legacy am I leaving????

 I must realize that every single thing I do and say, my children are picking up and will use it in their lives. So, I must be on guard that I am teaching them about Jesus and what He wants us to do. Not what my flesh desires to do, but what Jesus wants us to do. Am I loving Him enough and pointing to Him??

 "Legacy"
I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me And I enjoy an accolade like the rest You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl' But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides The temporary trappings of this world I want to leave a legacy How will they remember me? Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough To make a mark on things? I want to leave an offering A child of mercy and grace who blessed your name unapologetically And leave that kind of legacy I don't have to look too far or too long awhile To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one... What kind of legacy are you leaving.............

No comments: