Tuesday, March 08, 2011

89 yrs young

My grandfather, Papaw Duncan, tuned 89 on March 2. The Duncan family gathered at my aunt and uncle's home to celebrate Big Papaw's (as he is known to his 3 great-grandchildren) special day. We enjoyed a good dinner and then had cake and ice cream. Keira and Brock just had to pick out 2 small balloons for him. He sure is special to our family and me. He is my last living grandparent, which makes it even sweeter to me. Big Papaw's mind is sharp and he loves to tell a story or a joke and even sing a song for the little ones. I especially love to hear him talk about my grandmother, who passed away 2 yrs this past January. She was the love of his life and they were married 62 yrs before alzheimer's took her from us. If someone ever wanted to see wedding vows in the purest form, then they were a shining example of what marriage should be. Not saying it was perfect, and I am sure they had their moments, especially earlier on, but they sure ended a lifetime of love best as one can. My grandfather took care of her for 11 yrs as she battled the ugly disease that robbed her of so much. She got to the point of not even remembering that she was married, etc. But, that never mattered to him as he lovingly and patiently took care of her. She was never put in a nursing home or such and remained at home until the final week or so of her life, when she had to be put in a hospital. True and selfless love!! A man who loves fishing, but truly lived with the greatest catch of his life. Their is a sign at their home that says this and I have always loved it. One of my fondest memories is of him telling me how my grandmother(as she was in the hospital passing away) led him to the Lord after they had married. I hope I never forget that story. Happy Birthday, Papaw!!
Photobucket

No comments: