Friday, January 16, 2009

Past week

Pictures taken before church last sunday morning.
Although Keira looks unhappy, she wasn't, just wouldn't smile for me. Typical - do opposite whatever mommy says. This past week has flown by for me. I cannot even fathom that tomorrow night my grandmother will have been gone a week. It still seems like yesterday. After the burial service Tuesday morning, we got back into our normal routines. Normal- what does that mean anyway? Wed. I kept the kids home all day, something we needed. We did make it to church that evening. Keira hasn't said much about Mamaw Duncan being gone, just asking "How do we get to heaven?" and other minor things, nothing major. I don't know what I expected from a 3 yr old anyway, I guess....well I don't know. Thursday, Keira went back to school, she was thrilled! Couldn't wait to see her friends. I took Brock and went to my grandfather's house. It just feels so odd without walking in the door and not seeing my mamaw. It feels so empty, I understand why it would be hard to be alone for my grandfather right now. I almost cry stepping through the door, especially when I saw the ramp had been taken down. Thursday I received a text that a guy I graduated with had passed away. What? He is 31-32 yrs old, my age. What? Now that hits home. Then, my other grandmother is put into the hospital, she isn't doing great and has fallen 3 times this past week and once required 5-6 staples in her head. I began to realize I have the potential to go from having 3 grandparents to zero. Not that anyone can put a timetable on life, but that this could happen the way things are looking. When things like this happen, it causes you to step back and re-evaluate life and what we are using ours for. Am I being the best wife and mother I can? Do I complain too much? Am I thankful enough for what we have? Do I try to help others? and on and on I can go. The big questions that always stick out to me are : Am I trying to follow the Lord with all my heart, soul, and mind? Am I teaching my kids about Jesus? These 2 questions should be at the top of my list everyday. The most important thing in my life should be these 2 - More than anything my children's salvation should be priority - not how smart they are, not how cute I can dress them, not how good they will be at sports, not what school they will attend, if they don't have Jesus, then nothing else matters. Nothing. Nothing. Without Him, where would I be. Everything will fall in place if we are Saved. I should quit worrying about if my kids will get a good education in a public school and worry more about showing them who the ultimate Teacher is. Our preacher has been doing a series on 1 Peter 1, we are currently in the first few verses. Wow!! As believers, we have joy in trials - yes, JOY, read it and see for yourself. The trials and times we face here on earth are short and will pass, our reward is eternal, our hope is in Jesus and what He did on the cross. He took every sin, not just a few, but every single sin, for every single person that is elect. And we think we endure trials ? He was the ultimate sacrifice, bore the pain and shame of my sins, and yet I want to complain about minor things in my life. My wicked, ungrateful, prideful, heart is so dirty. Sin is so ugly and yet I have been given a clean slate by Jesus. May our trials bring us closer to Him and let us praise Him during these times, not just when things are going good, but in the bad times. As a Casting Crowns song says " I will praise You in this storm, I will lift my hands" Thank you Lord for your mercy and grace. Photobucket
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Owings Family said...

Hey Kandi! What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother! Amazing! We just started the study this past Tuesday at FBC Kingston on Tues. mornings. I don't have a feel for it yet, but I too love Beth Moore studies. I'm sure there is room available if you are interested. I'll let you know how it progresses (and if I can keep up with my homework)! :)