Saturday, February 27, 2010

Granny Mullins

My Granny Mullins went home to be with the Lord at 1 a.m. on Feb. 27th, 2010. She hung in as long as the Lord let her. We thought Wed. was it, but it wasn't time. She was 88 yrs old. My grandmother was a hard-working woman all her life. She lived in KY, where she met and married my grandfather, who passed away 16-17 yrs ago, from cancer. He was a coalminer and they were very poor. They worked very hard and saw many hardships, but made it through. My granny gave birth to 12 children, yes 12, which I can't imagine. The baby died a few days after he was born. 10 children are still living and I think she has 28 grandchildren and 14 great-grandhildren, if we counted right. :) My granny was so tired and her body gave out. I am so thankful that she is at home with our Saviour and been reunited with loved ones, especially her baby. I have never heard her talk about this my entire life. My granny loved to go to the auction and every Sat. evening we all knew where she was to be found. Better not get her seat, you might get in trouble. She loved yard sales too. Granny tended her garden and supplied her family with homegrown food. She was also a wonderful sewer and loved to do crafts and was a quilter. I still have my Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls she made me when I was young. I thought of this as I held her hand one final time Friday afternoon. Hands that raised 11 children, hands that worked non-stop, hands that fed her family, hands that made her apple turnovers that she loved, hands that quilted with love (quilts I will keep the rest of my life), hands that held each grandchild, hands that held each great-grandchild, hands that just did it all. Know those same hands are praising God!! Even though my Granny did not show much emotion, I know she loved each child and all her gandchildren more than she showed and more than some thought. I know she was proud of me and all my accomplishments in this life, even if she told Brandon she wasn't happy about us getting married. We have always laughed about that. Or at my baby shower, she said she "only wanted 2 kids" , we all just laughed, cause that is the way she was. Obviously, God's plan was for them to have 12. Maybe she said these kinds of things because she had been through so much heartache in her life and saw so much heartache in her own children's life. I don't know. I will never know the answers this side of eternity. I am so glad she is at peace now. Peace isn't always easy to come by in a rather large family. I am blessed to have had her for 32 yrs and will remember the good times and those special moments when she hugged me and said "I love you" and all those times she use to slip me money when I was in college, thinking my mom didn't know. Photobucket

5 comments:

Tothblog said...

Kandi,

I am so sorry for your loss, but I rejoice with you that she is at peace in the presence of our Savior! You wrote a beautiful tribute to her, and I know she must have been so proud of you! I am praying for you and your family in the coming days, and may the precious memories you have bring you comfort.

Kristen

The Deakins said...

I'm so sorry to hear that but I'm sure that yall are at peace knowing she's not suffering anymore. Our granny's really are special to us and always will be.

Mamaw Leffew said...

You said it all beautifully! Although, I hadn't known Granny long, there are things that just she and I shared that I'll remember and have a smile. Seems like her great granddaughter shares in her love of yard sales as she decided to have a pretend one yesterday...I've called Keira little Louise and Jessie several times. Thankful she is at rest with Jesus.

Pam said...

Kandi,
That was a lovely tribute you wrote your granny. I hope my grandchildren someday find me "endearing" when I say something a little surprising. Heck, I wish my children did now. LOL. This made me miss my granny. I'm glad you have some funny and precious memories to hold on to. And, I'm thankful she is finding well-deserved peace and rest now.
Pam

Tara said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Kandi. You have a lot of great memories and it is great that she was able to know your children. I will be praying for your family during this difficult time.