Friday, September 18, 2009

I'm Not "Normal"

I have finally accepted the fact that I am not "normal" and this is totally acceptable to me. I have struggled for years wondering why so many other people are not "normal". The truth is, I am not "normal". I have questioned decisions, statements, actions, words, thoughts, etc. and finally have come to the conclusion that this is AWESOME!! Yes, you read this correctly. I don't want to be "normal" in this world. Being part of the elect, being a Christian, means I am the one that is not normal. I am in this world, but not of it. A sinner saved by grace and couldn't be happier. It all makes perfect sense now to me, I have always thought I was so different when it comes to how I live my life and the things I think, or desire to do. When you look at the "world" and compare yourself as a Christian, yes, we are the ones who are not "normal" because we don't think or act like the world. But, what joy this is for the elect. Just look at what the Bible tells us. James 4:4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whosoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 1 John 2:15-16 Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the yes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. We cannot love the world and love God at the same time. I don't want to get caught up in the world's theology and philosophy. This is so easy to do and at times, I fail. It is so easy to slide into an attitude of self and let pride take over. It is easy to slide into many things that are not pleasing to God and we must be on guard. People think I am not "normal" simply because I choose to do things that are different than them, some things as simple as not watching certain movies, or listening to certain types of music. These may be simple actions, but is it pleasing to God? Something I have to ask myself, not for other's approval. It would be very easy to let the world tell me how I should be living : maybe I need to work so we can have 2 incomes, to help buy us a 5,000 sq ft house or a brand new SUV, with all the bells and whistles. Maybe 2 incomes would allow me to get my nails, toes, and facials every week. Maybe even have some plastic surgery, and don't worry about exercise, I can just go get the extra jiggle on my thighs suctioned off every 6 months! HA!! Maybe if I work, I can send my kids to a private school, maybe I can give them evry advantage money can buy to succeed. But then this verse alwyas comes to my thoughts : Luke 9:25 For what is a man profited if he gains the whole world, and loses or forfeits himself? No thanks world. You can tell me I need all these material things, and I will be happy. Nope, you are wrong world. I only need Jesus! Look around at folks you may know who are well-off financially and seem to have it all. Are they really that much more happy than I am. If they don't have Jesus, they cannot be. "Things" really don't matter to me anymore. I am not saying we aren't looking for a house or to even build again. But, I don't need a mansion to make me happy. I use to think I needed to be like everyone else, how wrong I was. Thank you Lord for opening my eyes! 1 John 3:1 See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. The real aliens in this world are Christians. Once we are born again, we are given a new nature of heavenly origin, one that is foreign to a non-believer. So, I am so content to not be "normal" and how exciting it is. I don't ever want to lose my soul to gain the world! What joy is there in loving the world? None as far as I can tell. Thank you Lord!! Photobucket

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Amen sister! I love it! I"ve had people look at me like I've lost it, when they are talking about how folks "deserve" this or that - and I tell them I deserve hell, but by the grace of God, I won't get what I deserve. I get blessings overflowing from knowing the Lord Jesus.

Mamaw Leffew said...

Most of the time, you don't realize this until it's too late. Grace is Amazing!