Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Help

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from where shall my help come?” Psalm 121:1 This verse was in a daily devotional I receive via email daily. This verse makes more sense when you realize what the writer of this Psalms was seeing when he wrote this. The terrain surrounding him was mountainous. I learned it was common for those walking by to look up in this mountainous landscape and see pagan worshippers worshiping their false gods on the mountaintops. When people had fears or needed a spell to ward off an evil spirit, they went to the mountaintops seeking help from the false gods, and pagan priests or priestesses. Which brings forth the question "Where does my help come from?" Does it come from another person, a family member? a close friend? Does it come from songs? TV? Books? If we answer yes to some of these then we are relying on false hope. Or how many times do I think I am in control of my surroundings? This is false also. I might as well worship a pagan god if I think I am in control. But the next verse brings such comfort My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth What an awesome verse - My help comes from the Lord- nothing else will or can help me throught each day. When the world around me feels like it is spinning out of control, when people I thought so highly of act in a way I never would have imagined or do something extreme, when my family at times feels like it is slipping further and further apart, when I hear another episode of drama going on in my family, I can think of this verse and have the assurance that the Lord will help me, sustain me, deliver me, and rescue me from this chaos. Oh Thank You Lord that when I turn it all over to you, it is taken care of. Because as evident in my life , without Him I am nothing and I could not make it through the storms of life.

No comments: